[mythtv-users] mythtv on osx problems

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 11:46:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Jarom McDonald<jlmcdonald at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:29 PM, scram69 <scram69 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM, ivo welch<ivowel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > ok, my main goal is to get TV watching to work first.  First, how do I
>> > get
>> > MythTV to detect the channels that it can tune to?
>>
>> AFAIK, it doesn't for digital (i.e. the signal going into an HDHR in
>> the US).  You have to set them up manually.  I use phpmyadmin to
>> access the database.
>
> The only thing you should have to manually add is the XMLTVID, so that
> running mythfilldatabase will be able to get the right channel listings
> mapped to the right frequencies. The MythTV wiki has detailed examples of
> this, but basically, here are the steps:
>
> 1) Add the HDHR as a tuner in mythtv-setup
> 2) Create a listings source, and set it to "no grabber"
> 3) Associate the HDHR with the empty listings source, and click the button
> that says "scan for channels." Make sure you choose the appropriate scan
> type (i.e. broadcast, high cable, etc.) for whatever you attached to the
> HDHR.
> 4) Once it finds the channels, exit mythtv-setup. Don't yet run
> mythfilldatase.
> 5) Start the backend.
> 6) Get the XMLTV ID for each of the channels that were found through the
> scan. If you're in the US, you'll get these IDs from Schedules Direct (those
> from outside the U.S. are far more knowledgeable than I on how to get
> listings). You can use phpmyadmin as the previous responder did to enter
> them directly into the DB; I've always found it's much easier, however, to
> use MythWeb's channel editor (it shows all the channels that the HDHR found,
> and lets you paste in the XMLTV ID, type in the call number, the virtual
> channel number, etc. without being overwhelmed by some of the DB fields like
> "atsc major," etc.)
> 7) Shut down the backend, start up mythtv-setup again, and change your
> listings source that earlier said "no grabber" to reflect where you'll be
> getting your listings data from.
> 8) Exit mythtv-setup. NOW run mythfilldatabse

Adding my listing source from the start worked fine for me, I didn't
have to add a blank source. I'm using an antenna, though. Adding a
blank source and finding the xmltv id's probably only needs to be done
if your channels identify themselves with the wrong callsigns or
something.

>> > second, when I start the frontend and I just want to watch TV, nothing
>> > happens.  it waits a few secs, then blinks briefly, then I am again at
>> > the
>> > frontend view:
>>
>> I've never been able to get live TV to work on the OS X frontend.  If
>> live TV is a priority, look to a linux frontend.
>
> I second this. OS X makes a great remote frontend for recorded content, and
> is a passable backend for recordings, but liveTV functionality is a whole
> other story.

LiveTV works just fine on my macbook, and macbook pro. I don't use it
often, but I watched the football game on sunday without problems.