[mythtv-users] Atom-based Fit-PC frontend?

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:41:54 UTC 2009

:(

>> Anyone try a Fit-PC2 for a Myth frontend yet?
> Intel (but not really) GMA500 graphics. Aka, poulsbo BS with the PowerVR
> core that requires a crack-riddled binary-only driver that only halfway
> exists to do anything useful. Supposed to be able to do hardware decode of
> most common video codecs, but I'm not aware of anything (certainly not myth)
> that can take advantage of it yet.
>
> But otherwise, an amusing little box.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

Yeah, I just read this:
"The Poulsbo chipset includes an Intel GMA500 graphics processor, and
it is what I was most curious about when testing this machine. The
model number might suggest it to be a slower version of the GMA900,
but in fact it’s an entirely different graphics core, PowerVR SGX,
licensed from a company called Imagination Technologies. I wanted to
see if it could keep up with the GMA900 in my Asus 901 netbook.
Perhaps it’d even do better.

Intel has been known to support the Linux community by providing the
details necessary to write display drivers. As a result, Intel’s
integrated GPUs are a great option for Linux users with modest
graphics needs. Unfortunately, because it’s not a true Intel product,
this doesn’t apply to the GMA500. The current state of Linux drivers
for the Poulsbo chipset has rightfully been described as ‘a mess‘.
There is a driver available for some Linux distributions, but it does
not work with the latest kernels. For Ubuntu, this means you’re stuck
using 8.04. And I have to admit that after using 9.04 for a while now
that feels like a major step backwards."