[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Philip Nourse pjn at pobox.com
Thu Aug 13 19:05:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:31:43 -0600, Jarom McDonald <jlmcdonald at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > Does the HDHomeRun box take commands for setting a tuner to a specific
>> > channel, or does one have to fool around with an infrared solution?
>>
>> Yes, it takes commands for tuning channels over the Ethernet port, no
>> messing with IR for tuning.  It has a built in IR receiver, I think.
>> I have never used it and don't know if it can be used by Myth.
>>

> This is actually another benefit that the HDHR has over a PCIe card --
> especially considering that you're running a combined FE/BE. With any
PCIe
> card doing your recording on a box that's also your FE, you'll have to
have
> a separate device to run the frontend interface, whether that be a
serial,
> PCI/e, or USB infrared receiver. But with the HDHR sitting on your
network,
> if you set it physically in a place where it can receive your remote
> control
> input then you can configure your frontend's lirc to listen for UDP data.
> I've got my HDHR on a little shelf of my entertainment center and can
thus
> put my combined FE/BE back behind the entertainment center, away from the
> kids, pets, etc.
>
> Jarom

If your HDHR tuner is in a place where you can conveniently use it to
recieve IR signals, you aren't using it to its full potential.  Mine is
tucked away in the laundry room with the rest of my networking stuff.  One
of the great advantages of the HDHR is you don't have to run antenna cables
to your TV.