[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Vs. PCIe tuner card?

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Thu Aug 13 19:16:03 UTC 2009

On 08/13/09 13:05, Philip Nourse wrote:

>>> Yes, it takes commands for tuning channels over the Ethernet port, no
>>> messing with IR for tuning.  It has a built in IR receiver, I think.
>>> I have never used it and don't know if it can be used by Myth.
>>>

>> This is actually another benefit that the HDHR has over a PCIe card --
>> especially considering that you're running a combined FE/BE. With any
>>
> PCIe
>
>> card doing your recording on a box that's also your FE, you'll have to
>>
> have
>
>> a separate device to run the frontend interface, whether that be a
>>
> serial,
>
>> PCI/e, or USB infrared receiver. But with the HDHR sitting on your
>>
> network,
>
>> if you set it physically in a place where it can receive your remote
>> control
>> input then you can configure your frontend's lirc to listen for UDP data.
>> I've got my HDHR on a little shelf of my entertainment center and can
>>
> thus
>
>> put my combined FE/BE back behind the entertainment center, away from the
>> kids, pets, etc.
>>
>> Jarom
>>

> If your HDHR tuner is in a place where you can conveniently use it to
> recieve IR signals, you aren't using it to its full potential.  Mine is
> tucked away in the laundry room with the rest of my networking stuff.  One
> of the great advantages of the HDHR is you don't have to run antenna cables
> to your TV.
> ______________

Not really -- the "full potential" or "great advantages" of the HDHR is
that it is so _flexible_. As I mentioned in a different reply, I don't
have an antenna hooked up, but instead use clear QAM signals sent by my
cable company. Since the TV is already in a place where there's a BNC
connector, why not stick the HDHR there and use its IR receiver? It
looks nice on the entertainment center. There's network connectivity
there because I've got my FE/BE machine (in fact, because I can then put
my FE/BE and HDHR on one switch, it doesn't even eat up my LAN
bandwidth). Win/win for me. And for you, too, as it fits your needs in a
different way.

--
Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor, College of Humanities
jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu