[mythtv-users] i586 myth distro?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Aug 15 03:05:06 UTC 2009

On Friday 14 August 2009 22:14:35 Nick Rout wrote:
> Is there a distro that is known to work with a i586 processor (as
> found in a epia M9000 board)?
>
> I know LinHES is supposed to be i586 compatible when released, but the
> beta/release candidates still seem to be compiled for i686 from what I
> can see.
>
> I know of minimyth and may go that way.
>
> mythbuntu seems to be i686 and crashes with an unknown instruction (or
> something like that) error.
>
> what other choices are there?

Lucky you, you have a Via chip w/o CMOV. Fedora still ships a non-CMOV
kernel.i586 as its default installer kernel on 32-bit x86, so Fedora
and by extension, MythDora, should work.

(Note that as of Fedora 12, we're actually finally dumping the
CMOV-less kernel, and compiling everything 32-bit as full-fledged i686
with CMOV, optimized for Atom...)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com