[mythtv-users] subtitle matching rule not working

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sun Aug 16 02:58:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM, Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/15/2009 04:12 AM, Bill Williamson wrote:

>>> Have you actually recorded that episode with that subtitle, yet?  If not,
>>> it's not yet a duplicate.  If so, I'd guess your old recorded episode and
>>> the new program listings episode both have programid's (that differ), so
>>> it's not seen as a duplicate.
>>
>> They don't match as dupes on the upcoming recording screen, and myth
>> records all of them every time. (so I'll have 2-3 of each episode
>> already recorded)
>>
>> Why should program ID matter when I tell it to match via subtitle?  I
>> know that shepherd is very dicky with its programids...
>
> Because programid, if it exists, is considered the ultimate arbiter of
> uniqueness, so it always overrides the chosen duplicate-check method when
> both the old recorded episode and the new program listings episode have a
> programid.  The programid is meant to be a unique key for each episode of a
> show.  If it's anything else, your grabber needs to be fixed to not provide
> a programid.
>
> If, however, you use multiple sources of listings data (i.e. XMLTV on some
> channels and EIT on others), you're likely to have different programid's for
> the same episodes.  The work Stuart A. is doing on EIT custom authorities
> may actually help out in this case (in 0.22 and beyond), but I don't know
> for sure.  Until then, if you have "incompatible" data sources, you can
> always just post-process your XMLTV data (even with a simple sed script) to
> remove programid's before running mythfilldatabase on the data.

Thanks for the rundown of the details, it led me to my problem.

Shepherd NEVER puts ANY programIDs on shows.  Due to this mythtv tries
to double-record shows that have no subtitle (such as the news) when
it's on the SD and HD simulcast channels.

To resolve this I was reccomended the following cron-job script:

/bin/echo 'update program set
programid=concat(starttime,endtime,title) where programid="";' |
/usr/bin/mysql mythconverg -u mythtv

I understand what it's doing, why it fixed my INITIAL issue, and NOW
why it's breaking things (it wasn't coming up before because other
channels don't replay as much over and over).

It seems to me that a more logical version of this script would be:

bin/echo 'update program set programid=concat(starttime,endtime,title)
where programid="" and subtitle="";' | /usr/bin/mysql mythconverg -u
mythtv

That way it will ONLY set a "hard" programid for shows which do not
have a subtitle (and thus wouldn't ever match duplicate checking
anyways).

Thoughts?