[mythtv-users] Problem updating video driver to 185.18.31

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 16 15:39:35 UTC 2009

While trying to investigate and fix my "snow on analog stations" issue
(see Gossamer Threads
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392166?search_string=snow%20on%20analog%20stations;#392166),
I decided to try updating the video driver for my nVidia 9400GT card.  I
downloaded the 185.18.31 package and went through the installation.  It
appeared to go well,but when I boot up, I get an error in my Xorg.0.log
file stating:

(EE): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.  Please see the
system's kernel log for additional error messages and consult the NVIDIA
README for details.
(EE): Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I check /var/log/messages, and I see the following error (part of it is
cut-off on my display, so the exact wording might not be exact):

NVRM: API mismatch: this client has the version 185.18.31, but this
kernel module has the version 180.44.  Please make sure that the kernel
module and all NVIDIA driver components have the same version.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Harry