[mythtv-users] Restrict tuner usage at a given time

Steve Harrington mythlist at the-harringtons.org
Mon Aug 17 00:34:23 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 16 August 2009 18:05:47 Steve Harrington wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> I have a tuner (HD-PVR) that I would like to _not_ record from 3-3:30 AM
>> every day as that is the time the Dish receiver grabs listings for the
>> next day.  Is there a way to do this for this one tuner besides looking
>> at the upcoming recordings?
>
> I'd like to get my HD-PVR working with my DISH VIP722, are you running trunk
> or back patches (just curious).
>
> A current problem with the 722 is that after it does it's download it requires
> a "select" to get back to working normally. I can change the time of the D/L,
> but I haven't found any way to srop the receiver from going into a "press
> select" screen
>
> Do you have this problem? do you have a solution or workaround?
>
> As for your question, I suppose you could write a couple of scripts to remove
> and then replace the tuner via a cron job, the scheduler would not be aware
> of what those scripts were going to do and when, so I'm guessing this would
> not work acceptably.

Brian,

Could you write a simple sh script that just presses the select button
after the download?  They usually only take like 5-10 minutes (I think,
I tend to not stay up late and watch it, LOL).  You could run it at say
3:30 if the download starts at 3.

I could do the cron job that you suggested, but it gets dicey as I don't
know when the recordings start.  The one that caused me grief (The
Universe on History HD) started at 2AM, but a movie could start earlier
and a show could start later.  I guess I'll just eyeball it for now.

Also, I am on trunk (Mythbuntu weekly builds).  I have a 211k from Dish.
  I haven't been able to get 5.1 via optical in to work, only PCM.
Every time I try DD 5.1 it sounds like someone is talking through a fan.
  Do you have this issue?

Steve