[mythtv-users] Restrict tuner usage at a given time

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 17 14:08:30 UTC 2009

On Monday 17 August 2009 00:57:56 Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Sun Aug 16, 2009 at 06:49:04PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> > I've thought about using a cron job, it'd certainly be easy enough, but
> > the status quo is working for now...
>
> You can't just delete tuners out from under the scheduler the list is
> kept in-memory, the master backend must be restarted any time you
> add/remove tuners.

The cron job referred to above was for a different matter, that should teach
me to not mention two things in a single thread, though they were both
related to the same problem, ie: DISH receivers insisting on downloading in
the middle of the night and thus being unusable at times.

I don't know if DirecTV units have a similar problem, but it is a problem with
the DISH units.

I did say I thought the cron job approach to removing tuners would not be
practical.

> There is a patch in ticket #3422 that I hope to get in before 0.22 that
> would let you lock a tuner via the Myth protocol and then unlock it
> later.  This could be used for what you're trying to accomplish.

That would be a "good thing" for a couple of resons in addition to the
situation mentioned by the OP.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org