[mythtv-users] Looking for hardware recommendations

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Mon Aug 17 20:03:53 UTC 2009

So, my cat puked into my MythTV box.  Not kidding!

Since the puke, the video is all blue.  The red channel of the component
out is fried.  The video is on the MB.

Now, my fancy AVR will not allow me to use an additional audio input if
I use HDMI for video input.  The HDMI video works on the MB, btw.

So I have two options:

CHEEP:
get a PCIx video card that does component out.

EXPENSIVE:
Future proof with new MB, RAM, CPU.

Ideally, I'd like to do HD AUDIO over HDMI, and video that supports
VDPAU

Can someone recommend a video card that does audio over HDMI that is
painless to configure?  How about with component output?  VDPAU?

What is the hottest MythTV motherboard with onboard video/audio these days?
HDMI W/audio out?

I typically run the MythBuntu distro.

Insights to your experiences are most appreciated.

Thanks!