[mythtv-users] Low power AMD processors

Yianni Vidalis yiannividalis at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:01:16 UTC 2009

Although you said you aren't interested in VDPAU, it is the route I've chosen, and I would recommend it anytime. My 2 frontends both have an AMD 5050e (45W TDP) and a Gainward 9500GT 1GB Silent vga.In Mythtv (latest trunk) HD 1080p playback is smooth and flawless.

The only "problem" I find is that if you are watching a HD channel and you enter the program guide, the channel preview gets distorted because VDPAU can't handle 2 input streams simultaneously (or something like that).

The system is almost silent and provides good WAF.

The processor on it's own can't perform well for HD, it definitely needs VDPAU, but the whole setup is what I use and what I recommend for its value and performance.

I've been an AMD guy since the first Athlons, and I've not regreted it yet.

Regards,

Yianni.