[mythtv-users] lirc modules are missing on fedora 11

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Aug 18 16:00:12 UTC 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:51 AM, mythtv at blandford.net wrote:

> I recently updated to the newest fedora 11 kernel to resolve the
> kernel security issue.
>
> Afterwards, I noticed my remote is no longer working.  What I
> discovered is all of the lirc modules are missing in the kernel
> update.
>
> Jarod, do you know why this has happened?

Yes. Because I suck. :)

Did an lirc driver patch refresh, and two rather critical lines got
left out of the updated patch, which resulted in the drivers not
getting built. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to test the
kernel and discover it was busted until after the security fix kernels
had already been pushed.

Its already been fixed in a later kernel build, which you can get here:

http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/kernel/2.6.29.6/217.2.9.fc11/

That's going to cause some minor pain for those who rely on binary
video drivers in pre-packaged format, unless using auto-rebuilding
ones... Hopefully, this or something newer gets pushed as yet another
update kernel soonish. That, or I suppose I could just throw together
appropriate pre-compiled driver tarballs people could unpack into
their kernel module trees if they want to keep using the current lirc-
less kernel. :\

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com