[mythtv-users] Editing/transcoding HD-PVR (.ts) files

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Tue Aug 18 20:39:02 UTC 2009

> Hi all -
>
> I'm running 0.21-fixes (JYA's repo).
>
> I have been recording shows manually (through the CLI) from my HD-PVR with
> good results.  However, as I'm doing it outside of Myth, I'm not sure how
> to clip out the commercials and then transcode the .ts files.
>
> Google tells me that there are Windows apps that can do this.  Are there
> any Linux apps that can?  I didn't find any while looking last night.

You're looking for a video editor, for Linux there is:

Cinelerra

GOPChop

avidemux

Kino

Kdenlive

And many others, just look for "linux video editors".

Which one you want will depend on how fancy you want to get with effects etc.
You probably just want a simple cuts-only editor, start with GOPChop or
avidemux.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org

------------------------------

Message: 22
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:37:51 -0400
From: Doug Vaughan <r.d.vaughan at rogers.com>

Bob,
    I am using a HD-PVR with MythTV trunk. I have had excellent results
editing the recorded mpg files with Avidemux 2.4.3 (r5127). I only
record with the HD-PVR at 720p. I have heard that Avidemux does not work
well with 1080i. You must save in avi format (copy audio and video)  but
you can then change the container and get the video indexed using ffmeg
or mkvmerge. Of course this is all lossless editing.

Thanks, Brian and Doug for the list of apps - will check them out.  As
Doug is using avidemux, will look there first.

I do use 720p out of the STB, as the Wiki info I've seen says that the
driver is still not reliable at 1080i.

Forgive the n00b question, but does Myth trunk handle the raw files any
differently?  Doug mentioned that the files he's getting through trunk are
in .mpg format.  Will avidemux work with the raw files that I get with the
simple "cat /dev/video1 > filename.ts" command?

Bob