[mythtv-users] At a loss w/DVB .... ERROR_OPEN in mythtvsetup

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 20 02:29:14 UTC 2009

>I currently have 2 DVB adaptors... a kworld card and an HVR-1250. I
>
>previously had the HVR-1250 working on the machine that is now my slave
>
>backend when it was the master. I added the other card once I pulled out
>
>the PVR card and the modem (freeing up those slots). I can't get either
>
>card to work. /dev/dvb has both adaptor0 and adaptor1 listed and there
>
>are objects inside each of those directories... but when I go into
>
>mythtvsetup for the capture cards and select that it's a DVB card the
>
>frontend ID simply says ERROR_OPEN rather than detecting the card. It
>
>doesn't matter if I select 0 or 1 for my adaptor. Unfortunately, I'm at
>
>a loss as to what I need to do and need somebody smarter than me to help
>
>with troubleshooting.

I am on Gentoo and had similar issues, after I made some security changes.. I
don't know the security model of your distro though..

Firstly make sure your mythtv user has permission to the devices.. It probably does.

Secondly, it looks like your devices are already in use. So run through these
checks first

1. Is mythbackend running?
2 a) If it is running shut down mythbackend and try running mythtv-setup again.
2 b). If it isn't running, what other apps could be accessing those cards?

I found that this error appeared only AFTER I changed the setting to free the
card when not in use (can't remember the exact setting name) and the backend was
running. Shutting down the backend and running mythtv-setup again worked fine.