[mythtv-users] how to get slaves to automatically reconnect to the master backend

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:33:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Peter
Abplanalp<pta-myth at psaconsultants.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Tom Lichti<redpepperracing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Peter
>> Abplanalp<pta-myth at psaconsultants.com> wrote:

>>> no, i'm not.  the slave logs show nothing untoward and the slave
>>> processes are alive and well.  i'm glad to hear that this just works
>>> for you.  did you configure anything on the master or slave to get
>>> this to work?
>>
>> Not that I recall. I think there is a timeout at some point, but I'm
>> not sure on that. If you gracefully shut down the backend and then
>> restart it in a few minutes, do the slaves reconnect?
>
> i ran a test and stopped the master backend.  i got a bunch of lines
> like the following on one slave:
>
> 2009-08-20 08:18:23.830 Connecting to master server: 192.168.1.104:6543
> 2009-08-20 08:18:23.846 Connection to master server timed out.
>
> once i started the backend again, i got a 'connected successfully'
> message.  i also checked the status page on mythweb and it reported
> that all the tuners on all the backends were available so it would
> seem that upon graceful shutdown and startup the slaves to reconnect.
> i also ran 'kill -9 <mythbackend pid>' to try and simulate a crash.
> in that case, the slaves also reconnected to the master.
>
> i wonder if there is any way to get the slaves to reconnect after a
> reboot or what the difference is in that case.

When the master reboots spontaneously, the slaves probably still have
a socket open to what they think is the master, and when the master
actually comes back up, the slaves don't know, because they think they
are still connected to the master. Not sure how to get around that
without some scripting.

Of course, fixing the spontaneous reboot issue on the master would be
the best way... :)

Tom