[mythtv-users] Stumped: MySQL and accessing the BE from a separate FE

leifontheroad leifontheroad at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:05:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

I realize this topic has been covered on this list before, but I'm not seeing any old threads that provide a helpful level of troubleshooting.  I may be able to get better help on this from a MySQL group, but since this is a pretty common activity with mythtv, I'm hoping for some knowledge...

I can't for the life of me figure out why I can't access MySQL from another machine on my network. I have traditionally just run a single frontend/backend machine, but recently decided to add another frontend. I followed the docs to grant permissions in the DB (http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2), and made the correct changes in the backend mythtv-setup fields, but still got an "access denied" message when trying to connect. So now I'm simply trying to access MySQL from the command line, and have no problems doing this from the backend machine, but can't access it from any other machines.

1. This works fine (accessing MySQL on the backend machine from the backend machine):

$ mysql -u mythtv -p

2. But doing this from the backend or frontend machine does *not* work:

$ mysql -u mythtv -h 192.168.5.19 -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'mythtv3.local' (using password: YES)

3. I've granted permissions from very specific all the way up to them wide open:

mysql> select User, Host from user where user='mythtv';
+--------+----------------------+
| User   | Host                 |
+--------+----------------------+
| mythtv | %                    |
| mythtv | 192.168.5.%         |
| mythtv | ubuntu-desktop.local |
| mythtv | localhost            |
4 rows in set (0.00 sec)

4. I'm not running a firewall.

5. I've got skip-networking and bind-address disabled in my.cnf file (and I've restarted MySQL many times since I made these changes):

# Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
# localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
# bind-address          = 127.0.0.1

6. Now, I *can* get access from a remote machine if I start mysqld with the --skip-grant-tables option, so that tells me that the problem lies in my grant table. But I can't see anything wrong with it.

I'm completely stumped. I can't find any info in any logs anywhere. My version of MySQL is from Mythbuntu and wasn't compiled with debug, so I can't run MySQL in debug. Any ideas on what to try next?