[mythtv-users] Snow on analog stations

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 00:25:26 UTC 2009

Harry Devine wrote:
>>> I just rebuilt my box due to some hardware issues.  I'm running
>>> Mythbuntu 9.04 64-bit.  Any recordings that I make using the DVB
>>> portion of my pcHDTV 5500 card work fine (recordings or live TV),
>>> but the analog stations all come in as white or green snow.  I had
>>> this problem about a year ago when I was trying to put the nVidia
>>> 177.82 drivers on.
>>>
>>> At that time, the problem ended up being corrected by checking "Open
>>> DVB on demand" in mythtv-setup.  I just tried this and it had no
>>> effect.  I have version 180.44 of nVidia that came with the
>>> Mythbuntu installation.  Any ideas on what I need to do to get this
>>> back to working?  Upgrade the nVidia drivers perhaps?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry

>> Scratch that!  2 minutes after I hit "Send", I found a setting on the
>> "Recording Options" of the DVB card labeled "Use DVB card for Active
>> EIT scan".  The description for it says "With this option enabled the
>> DVB card is constantly in use".  I unchecked that and checked the
>> "Open DVB on demand" and the analog stations tune nicely now.
>>
>> Sorry for the noise.  Hopefully this "noise" will help someone else
>> though. ;-)
>>
>> Harry
>>
> Oops, looks like I spoke too soon.  I had 2 recordings that I made
> between last night and this afternoon that were nothing but green
> snow.  When I just tried to tune those stations using Live TV, I get
> the same thing.  They come in fine if I plug the cable directly to the
> TV.  What's weird is that I can tune some analog stations, namely the
> local major affiliates like ABC and Fox.  But others like FX or ESPN
> come in as green snow.
>
> When I try to tune one of those stations, I notice that I see the
> following in the frontend log:
>
> NVP::AddAudioData():p1: Audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!
>
> And the backend log shows:
> 2009-08-14 20:48:44.986 NVR(/dev/video0): Unknown video codec.  Please
> go into the TV Settings, Recording Profiles and setup the four
> 'Software Encoders' profiles.  Assuming RTjpeg for now.
> 2009-08-14 20:48:44.990 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Unknown audio codec
> 2009-08-14 20:48:45.001 AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max required Free
> Space: 2.0 GB w/freq: 15 min
> 2009-08-14 20:48:46.612 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
>                        eno: Input/output error (5)
> 2009-08-14 20:48:46.635 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: Resetting and re-queueing
> 2009-08-14 20:48:47.500 NVR(/dev/video0) Error: DQBUF ioctl failed.
>                        eno: Input/output error (5)
>

> Any ideas on what's going on?
>
> Harry

So nobody has ANY ideas on this?  I tried updating the nVidia video
driver (see this thread if interested:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/392515?search_string=185.18.31;#392515)
thinking that would help, and I get the same problem.  Same errors,
etc.  I have "Open DVB on demand" checked as suggested on the Ubuntu
forums and it makes no difference.  I'd say that 90% of what I record
has to be recorded using the Analog portion of the card, and with this
problem, I can't do that.  Basically, my box is almost completely
useless at this point.

I've had similar issues in the past with this, and it was always either
the video driver or that setting, but neither are it in this case.  I'd
really appreciate hearing from someone who has had similar issues and
how they got around them.  Just to further troubleshoot, I did plug the
coax directly into my TV and the analog stations tuned without an issue,
so its DEFINITELY a Myth problem.

Thanks,
Harry