[mythtv-users] Firewire modules do not load

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 21 20:57:15 UTC 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 10:34 AM, <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
> I really tink that I have RTFM on just about everything ( firewire
> STB ) that I
> could find on the web. but..
> The more that I read, the more confused I get.
> I think the problem here is that much of the documentation on the
> web is old

Yup, seemed that way the last time I looked too.

> and only applies to older distros for example:
> ///////////
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Firewire
> ///////////
> How much of this is even relitive and is there current documentation
> anywhere?

I have no idea about Ubuntu, other than "does not ship the new
firewire stack (yet?)".

> For example mythprime or firewire tester... are these needed?
> available?
> They don't seem to be in my distro.

They're in the mythtv contrib/ directory.

> Now I will make an offer to anyone on the list:
> If someone ( that has a working STB with firewire ) will dictate setup
> instructions into a wave file and send it to me , I will do a
> writeup and test and submit it to the
> list for enhancement/correction.
> I am retired, and any day that it is to rough to take the boat out
> for salmon
> fishing, I do have a fair amount of spare time.
> I am going to try another firewire setup soon using mythbuntu on one
> of my
> desktops.
> Mythbuntu was a total failure when trying to install in on any of my
> many Thinkpads.
> It did install OK on two of my desktops.

For me, once I fixed up the firewire driver and libraries and made one
small change to mythtv (all of which are changes committed to their
respective upstreams since around last November, iirc) it was
literally as simple as this:

1) install fedora
2) set up 3rd-party repo access for mythtv install
3) yum install mythtv (pulls in firewire library deps)
4) check that cable box is sending data with plugreport and test-mpeg2
5) configure firewire recorder in mythtv

Done.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com