[mythtv-users] Firewire modules do not load... test-mpeg2

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Aug 22 03:06:56 UTC 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 22:57:02 bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:

> Where can I get test-mpeg2

Its part of the libiec61883 bits.

> and 6200ch?

Somewhere down in mythtv's contrib/ directory.

> I need it for both mythdora and mythbuntu.

test-mpeg2 is in the package libiec61883-utils on *dora. Don't know
where it is found for *buntu.

> It seems that these are essential to get a firewire STB up.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. :)

test-mpeg2 is useful for testing outside of mythtv, but its not a hard
requirement. 6200ch is an external channel-changer, which is completely
unnecessary for most cable boxes, as mythtv has built-in support for
changing channels on firewire cable boxes over firewire using standard
AVC commands.

> What is it with *.dev files?
> .. never ran into these before.
> I supposedly have these but I can't find them.

Huh? What *.dev files? I have none...

> I did get to where there is a positive return from firewire-tester i.e.
> Broadcast Fix: Sucess (already stable ) and setting this up under config
> seems right but changing to firewire injput
> under myth results in a blank screen and no sound.

Got it set up to change channels using the internal channel changing
bits? Got a valid lineup attached to it?

Run the backend in a console window, see what gets spit out there when
you try using the firewire input.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com