[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hanging w/blank screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 22 05:06:25 UTC 2009

On 08/21/2009 11:42 PM, Mike Kobler wrote:
>>> Let me know of any other info.   One thing I noticed while looking at
>>> the source for thread 1, was that I don't have udevinfo, which it
>>> looks like it tries to run to figure out what all the block devices in
>>> the system are.   Perhaps that's a red herring, but maybe it'll help?
>> For now, make a link called udevinfo that refers to udevadm.
> Eureka!!   This is exactly the problem.  I downleveled my udev version
> back to 124 (it was at 141) and now the menus come up.
>
> So, it would seem that the lack of udevinfo causes the frontend to
> hang waiting for that process to complete, which is odd, given that it
> never really runs.  Here is the error i get when trying to run udevadm
> like MediaMonitorUnix::GetDeviceFile():

Yeah, actually, my above approach--link called udevinfo--won't work.
You'd need a script called udevinfo that does a udevadm info "$@" .
(Realized that after sending.)  So you could upgrade udev, again, if you
like.

> oak usr # udevinfo -q name -rp
> the program '/bin/bash' called 'udevinfo', it should use 'udevadm info
> <options>', this will stop working in a future release
> udevinfo: option requires an argument -- 'p'
>
> Should I open a bug to address?

We already have a couple of tickets about the program switch:

http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6137
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6866

Before commenting on them or opening a new one for the frontend's
hanging, it would be wonderul if you could do some testing to try to
figure out why it only hangs for some people?  The only thing I can
think of is that maybe those for whom it hangs have "Monitor CD/DVD (and
other removable devices)" enabled and those for whom it doesn't hang
don't.  Any information you could provide about what's causing the hang
would be appreciated.

Also, when starting up and it seems to hang, does Esc make it start
working again?  (Or several Escapes possibly followed by the exit key
you've set (Alt+Esc or Ctrl+Esc or Esc or whatever)?

Thanks,
Mike