[mythtv-users] How to get current movies into myth for later recording?

Doug Haber doug at fawnanddoug.com
Sun Aug 23 23:58:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Michael Rice<mikerice1969 at gmail.com
> Frequently I will hear about a movie that I'd like to record someday
> when it ends up on TV/cable.
> I can manually create a recording rule but when your interface is a
> remote it's a little painful.
> I've used tvwish in the past but shelling to the myth box and adding
> the title to the list isn't
> always easy (especially for my wife).
>
> What I think might be nice is a myth plugin where you could browse
> through movies
> and see a description and if it was interesting push a button to add a
> recording rule.
> This wouldn't just contain movies from your program data but from an
external
> database.  It would have different views such as "New Releases", "Now
Showing",
> as well as by name, genre, year, etc.
>
> Is anyone aware of such a plugin out there somewhere?
> If not is there a database that myth could use without violating anyone's
TOS?

I had a similar issue.  I'd find out about some show that would come on in >
2 weeks so I wanted to get notified when it was possible to schedule.  I
wrote a simple website that let me specify rules to search for.  For
example, shows that begin with "bored to death" (case insensitive) but
weren't on channel 12.  Then every night the site would query the db and see
if any shows matched any of my rules.  If so, I'd get an email with links to
mythweb so that I could schedule the particular episode/series/etc.  The
site also has the ability to edit and search so that I don't have to wait
for the nightly email.

Anyway, if you think it would be helpful I can give you more details.

Doug