[mythtv-users] DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express + Bell ExpressVu PVR : Will it work?

Oli D vhann3000 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 03:05:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a media center at my parents's place.

I've bought the DViCO FusionHDTV7 Dual Express specifically for use with MythTV
( http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DViCO_FusionHDTV7_Dual_Express
), but then
this is the first media center I'm building, so maybe my configuration
won't work.
I read here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/DVB-S that "Bell ExpressVu and
similar with
DVB-S cards are unwelcome in the MythTV community as those providers
do not supply CAMs".

I'm unsure whether or not this applies to me, so here's the setup I'm
willing to get:
As the driver for my capture card (DViCO FusionHDTV7...) doesn't
support analog (I guessed this
mean the S-video input), I'm trying to plug the coaxial out of the
Bell ExpressVu PVR into the tuner card
(as if the card was a TV). Therefore, I believe there shouldn't be any
problem with encryption (but please
tell me wrong if I am).

I'm tried setting it all up, but it's rather difficult as I know
nothing about whether the stream is NTSC or
ATSC or QAM or Broadcast or anything.

In short, my questions are:
1- Is what I want to do possible with my current setup/hardware?
2- If yes, any hint on signal format or such would be greatly appreciated.
3- I'd also like to transcode old movies from VHS to the media center
(I'd plug the coax out of the
VHS player in the coax in of the tuner card). Is this possible with
MythTV/my current setup?

Here are my system's details:
Distro: GNU/Linux Debian Lenny with kernel 2.6.29 from:
http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-headers-2.6.29-2-686-bigmem_2.6.29-6~snapshot.13701_i386.deb

Location: Quebec, Canada
Provider: Bell ExpressVu via "dual-headed" satellite receiver
PVR model: unknown (I'm not at my parents's place at the moment)

Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
Olivier D.