[mythtv-users] WinTV HVR 950Q Mac Based

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 25 15:48:04 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 25 August 2009 09:32:14 Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Adam Brown<abrown at spsu.edu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am starting to turn my MacBook into a PVR. I bought a WinTV
> > HVR-950Q. Was wondering if OSX or myth for Mac had separate
> > driver/firmware for this card. If possible I'd like to use mythtv
> > rather than my current program. Any help much appreciated.
>
> Hi,
>
> Myth relies (with a few notable exceptions) on the v4l and v4l-dvb
> APIs to access capture devices, which are unavailable on Mac OS X.
> The only device you can use w/ a backend on OS X is the HDHomeRun,
> currently.

You might also be able to use a Plextor PX-TV402U, drivers are available to
use that device with EyeTV for OS X. The drivers even support all of the
Plextor's modes, Myth under Linux only supports the MPEG4 mode(s) .

I certainly wouldn't buy a Plextor with an eye towards using it with Myth, I'm
not even sure if they are avalable any longer (but of course there's always
FleaBay), but if you happened to have one already...

But an HDHR won't capture analog video, or help you transfer VHS tapes to DVD,
so some analog option for OS X would be nice, and the Plextor is one
possibility.

Myth is mainly a Linux project, and running a B/E on OS X will probably always
have limitations, especially with supported hardware.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org