[mythtv-users] Configuring a slave server with additional tuners

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 22:59:47 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:41 PM, Eric A.
> I am having some issues getting my slave backend to connect to the mysql
> database on the master backend.
>
> Somehow the master sees that the slave has an additional tuner card
> available, but it doesn't show it as connected. In the logs on the slave I
> see errors about not being able to connect to the database. I have verified
> that the ip address is correct, that the password is correct and that the
> slave backend is actually running.
>
> I have looked at the permissions of the "mythtv" user in mysql and it has
> complete access both locally and with the "%" sign. I do not have MySQL
> installed on the slave server at all.
>
> I looked at the my.cnf configuration file on my master backend and I have
> tried both commenting and un-commenting the line bind: 192.168.1.xxx out.
> Neither seems to allow the slave to access the database on the master.
>
> I am at a loss currently. If there are other items from either of the logs
> that might help, please just ask.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Eric

Check that you actually have a valid mysql.txt file in the location
where the backend is looking for it.  That location depends on the
home directory of the user that starts up the backend process.  And if
the backend is started up at boot time, there may not be a user and
home directory associated.  I think I have mysql.txt files set up in
~mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt, ~root/.mythtv/mysql.txt, and
/.mythtv/mysql.txt, and possibly other locations.  Maybe someone can
clarify exactly where one should keep these files.

Jim