[mythtv-users] Any suggestions on my setup? (long)

Wed Aug 26 04:29:39 UTC 2009

Ok so now that I finally have everything working the way I would expect it to
I am looking for some suggestions on my setup. Basically I am looking to see
if I have things setup the best way possible or if anyone has any "better"
suggestions.

My setup is as follows:

Master Server with two Hauppauge USB tuners (Going to make these the lowest
priority for recording in the future if possible)

Slave Backend with a single Hauuppauge PCI 1600 tuner. Plans on adding at
least one more 1600 and possible a PCI express version also.

Recordings are currently stored on the machine where the master server is
located. They are stored on a 500GB HD that the directory has been exported
via NFS so that the slave can also store it's recordings in the same location.

The master backend is a very old server that I had in one of my businesses.
(in excess of 6yrs old). It has 2GB of RAM but a very slow processor and I
think only a single processor. The machine where the slave is setup is the
newest machine, 4GB of RAM and a quad processor.

What I would like to do is do the recording on the Slave tuner(s), have the
Slave do all the commercial flagging and just have the Master backend server
up the files when we wish to view them. I realize that moving the master
backend to the new machine really would be the best option, but for various
reasons, this isn't an option I want to undertake right now. It would require
moving my web server, email server and MySQL server also and I am fairly lazy
at the moment.

On a side note, because I have the Slave machine setup to record it's
recordings to an NFS share, MythWeb is reporting that I have two drives and
double the space that I actually have. Is this a flaw in how I set things up
or just a flaw in the design of MythWeb?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read this lengthy message and offers
up anything. :)

-Eric