[mythtv-users] mythbackend leaking file descriptors/sockets?

Joel mythtv at ebel.mybox.org
Wed Aug 26 06:19:17 UTC 2009

I just discovered that mythbackend (21-fixes) seems to be leaking file
descriptors for me.  This probably only started happening recently as
the symptoms manifest within a couple days of starting it, and I've
never seen them before.  The symptom is basically that it seems very
unresponsive, via mythweb or the frontend.  In mythweb, the shows for
today all have no thumbnail images, just black rectangles.  I straced
the backend and found that it was out of file descriptors.  The file
descriptors seem to all be taken up by socket connections.

It's possible that the overused file descriptors are a symptom of
something else being broken.  I'll continue to investigate.  I just
wondered if anyone had seen this before and could point me in the right
direction.

For now I'll monitor the file descriptor usage over time and turn on
socket debugging on the backend to see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Joel