[mythtv-users] Any suggestions on my setup? (long)

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 10:44:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Eric A.
> Ok so now that I finally have everything working the way I would expect it
> to I am looking for some suggestions on my setup. Basically I am looking to
> see if I have things setup the best way possible or if anyone has any
> "better" suggestions.
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> Master Server with two Hauppauge USB tuners (Going to make these the lowest
> priority for recording in the future if possible)
>
> Slave Backend with a single Hauuppauge PCI 1600 tuner. Plans on adding at
> least one more 1600 and possible a PCI express version also.
>
> Recordings are currently stored on the machine where the master server is
> located. They are stored on a 500GB HD that the directory has been exported
> via NFS so that the slave can also store it's recordings in the same
> location.

If you're putting your OS, DB, and all recordings on the same drive,
you may run into I/O bandwidth problems when most of your tuners are
going.  I have 5 tuners (2 HDHRs and an HD-PVR) and 2 drives, and I
think that's pushing it.

> The master backend is a very old server that I had in one of my businesses.
> (in excess of 6yrs old). It has 2GB of RAM but a very slow processor and I
> think only a single processor. The machine where the slave is setup is the
> newest machine, 4GB of RAM and a quad processor.
>
> What I would like to do is do the recording on the Slave tuner(s), have the
> Slave do all the commercial flagging and just have the Master backend server
> up the files when we wish to view them. I realize that moving the master
> backend to the new machine really would be the best option, but for various
> reasons, this isn't an option I want to undertake right now. It would
> require moving my web server, email server and MySQL server also and I am
> fairly lazy at the moment.
>
> On a side note, because I have the Slave machine setup to record it's
> recordings to an NFS share, MythWeb is reporting that I have two drives and
> double the space that I actually have. Is this a flaw in how I set things up
> or just a flaw in the design of MythWeb?

I recently had this question answered, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/393002 .  The short
answer is that for now (until 0.22), you can use a 32KB blocksize for
the NFS mount.

Jim