[mythtv-users] mythbackend leaking file descriptors/sockets?

Joel mythtv at ebel.mybox.org
Thu Aug 27 07:05:32 UTC 2009

Michael Cook wrote:
> In case you're not already looking in /proc, you might find
> something interesting there.
>
> sudo ls -l /proc/$(pgrep mythback)/fd

That's where I got the information that most were sockets.  I do not
know how to determine what is or isn't on the other end of such sockets.

They all look like:
455 -> socket:[2819498927]

After looking at my logs, it looks the the EIT scanner is responsible
for this.  I'm getting 2 new sockets opened every 5 minutes, and these
seem to correspond to when the EIT scanner runs every 5 minutes on both
of my hdhomerun inputs.  I'm guessing the two sockets are the two inputs.

In this case, I'm inclined to turn off EIT scanning and forget about it.
  I have schedulesdirect, so EIT scanning seems unnecessary, though it
seems like it could be nice to get updated information from the channel.
I don't know if it winds up being any more accurate than
schedulesdirect, for instance if a show runs long, I don't know if the
EIT data gets updated.

However, I'm not usually one to leave a problem unreported, so if any
devs are interested in why the EIT scanner on my system is leaking file
descriptors, I'm happy to file a bug and/or provide more data if you
request it.

Joel