[mythtv-users] Mini-ITX Motherboard for MythTV Frontend

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Thu Aug 27 14:04:25 UTC 2009

---- Ian Hodgson <ian.hodgson.home at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>     I would like to ask for any recommendations for a mini-ITX
> motherboard suitable to be used as a MythTV frontend, likely running
> Ubuntu. I will need to have an S-Video output to connect to my AV
> Amplifier, but other than that, I have no particular requirements. I
> have found some old threads on the very same topic, but on the basis
> that new motherboards are released all the time, I hope that you will
> not object to my revisiting it.
> Regards,
> Ian.
Why not just use a good laptop?
That's what I'm doing, and although I'm quite new to myth and learning all
the time, I'm really quite happy with what I have so far.
Mythtv is one fantastic! system.

My wish list does include:
Some sort of pre-buffering since wireless can't keep up with
the data stream
 and/or
"mythlan"? It would be nice to have a simple friendly way to
move files back and forth between the boxes.
I really wish that myth and linux in general had something like
"network neighborhood", that's about the only thing that I
miss from the BSOS.
Yes, I do know about the "security" thing but if there was
a "shared stuff" folder or partition which would never hold
anything of hacker value it seems like this could be done safely.

Please note that any of the above may already exist and that I just haven't
discovered it yet.
Thanks,
   Bert