[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Aug 27 15:32:38 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Ronald Frazier<ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> I've cringed
> at the thought of going back to Comcast, but every time I read the
> scte65scan threads, a part of me says it would be really nice to get
> digital capture of everything. However, if this is the route they are
> going, I guess there's little point in even entertaining that thought.

At least in the U.S. market, it seems to be set up to force you to
bounce between carriers.

Get Comcast Tripple Play!  Unlimited Voice, 10,000 HD channels, 5Gb/s
Internet and we'll pay you $10/month just for being our customer! *

<microscopic font>*promotional price valid for the first 20 minutes of
service, rates adjust to $1499.99/mo for the next two years,
forfeiture of the deed to your house and/or children upon early
cancellation.</mf>

Or something like that.

Anyway, the rates for being a "new" customer seem to be significantly
lower than being a loyal customer, so it doesn't make too much sense
to shy away from Comcast based on what they might do a year or two
from now.  If they do something you don't like, that's the perfect
time to become someone else's new customer.

As part of this new DTA roll out Comcast has told me I can get two of
the basic DTA's plus one real cable box for free.  Oh, wait, no I
can't get the free cable box because I'm an existing digital cable
subscriber.  I get to keep paying $14/mo for the box rental, and an
additional $22/mo over what I was paying before because I've had the
service for just over a year now.  Goody.

Eric