[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 27 17:49:09 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 11:32:30 David Brodbeck wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Of course it costs more, but I get no blocked ports, no restrictions on
> > servers or anything else I might want to run, no bandwidth limit, static
> > IPs, guaranteed level of service (not "up to") and fairly decent service
> > overall.
>
> Yeah, it's a worthy alternative if your cable company will supply a
> business Internet drop to a residence.  Not all will.

That seems silly, there are a LOT of home-based businesses that rely on the
internet. I'm just a "hobbyist" I guess, but their attitude was if I was
willing to pay the price they were happy to provide the service.

I think I did have to commit to a year's contract, and that probably allowed
them to recoup their costs. There was no up-front costs, just the monthly
fee.

The big problem here in the boonies (Wyoming) is that the cable company and
the local telco (Qwest) are about the only alternatives. There's satellite of
course, but that has problems.

There are people here still using ISDN (It Still Does Nothing), go figure.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org