[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

stefan_jones at comcast.net stefan_jones at comcast.net
Thu Aug 27 18:11:12 UTC 2009

The Comcast plant in my area (Portland, OR) is currently a hybrid.

* The low-tier channels (2-31) are still available in analog.

* The SD "Extended Basic" package channels (2-71 as I recall) are distributed in clear QAM analog.

* The local HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, two indies, and a religious channel) are also available in clear QAM.

* Everything else (Showtime, HBO, the HD versions of popular cable channels) are invisible to my scans, so I assume they are thoroughly encrypted.

I check the Silicon Dust channel scan site a few times a week. There is a change underway right now. The digital versions of the lower tier channels are moving to different transports. Actually, they are duplicated right now, but I assume that in the near future the old transports will be used for something else. Maybe more HD channels.

My back-up plan: Go to Basic Cable only, which won't really cost my anything since I get a discount for having both TV and internet. This may or may not let my continue to get the HD locals over cable. If not, I stick an antenna up on my balcony and get OTA.

With the money I save, I'll buy DVDs of "Mad Men" and the other cable shows I follow.