[mythtv-users] (US) Goodbye to unencrypted QAM...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Aug 27 20:04:25 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 12:21:59 Greg Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:32 -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> > Brian Wood wrote:
> > > Of course it costs more, but I get no blocked ports, no restrictions on
> > > servers or anything else I might want to run, no bandwidth limit,
> > > static IPs, guaranteed level of service (not "up to") and fairly decent
> > > service overall.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a worthy alternative if your cable company will supply a
> > business Internet drop to a residence.  Not all will.
>
> I don't know how much Brian has to pay Bresnan, but here, Comcast wants
> $300 a month for business service and it includes 25 static IP's. They
> don't have anything in between that and standard residence service at
> 1/6 that cost. So unless you are independently wealthy or really need
> all those IP's, business service is not a realistic option here.

I pay $120/month for 3Mb/sec. inbound and 1 Mb/sec. outbound with 5 static
IPs.

I'd think that few outfits would need 25 IPs, Comcast really should have a
lower business tier, but I'm sure they won't listen to me.

You didn't mention what speed the $300/month buys you, if I wanted the fastest
speed available it would probably bring me close to that $300 figure, but the
3/1 is enough for me. Twice T1 speed inbound and 2/3 of a T1 outbound.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org