[mythtv-users] Attic antenna

Tom listmail at athenet.net
Fri Aug 28 21:46:56 UTC 2009

At 01:58 PM 8/28/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>On Fri, August 28, 2009 1:37 pm, bhaskins at chartermi.net wrote:
> > Questions:
> > I have read that the old style 300 ohm twin lead has a lower loss
> > per foot than coax.. true/false ?
>
>True.  However, you have to keep it away from metal and other wiring -- at
>least twice the width of the line.  This is because the electromagnetic
>field extends into the air around the conductors, whereas with coax it's
>contained within the shield.
>
> > Since this will be about a sixty foot run, would the twin lead be a better
> > deal?
>
>With coax you'll probably want a preamp at the antenna to make up for the
>line loss.  You have to weigh this added expense against how difficult
>it'll be to route the twin lead.

The TV and the inputs on the TV cards are 75 ohm impedance. Twinlead is 300
ohms and won't work. Not without a matching transformer-- another place you
can lose signal. Most antennae for UHF are already 75 ohm F-connectors, so
why transform the signal from 75 ohm to 300 and then back again when you
get it into the house?

Can you support the twinlead several inches away from ALL metalic objects?
Got any pipes in the walls, other wiring, metal ceiling hangers, metal
corner bead on every corner where drywall meets drywall, etc etc etc etc?

I think the reference to twinlead having less loss is to 300-ohm ladder
line, which is larger and uses better materials than the old TV-twinlead.
Yes, coax has loss, but it's so far simpler than using twinlead that I
never even considered using twinlead. I'm out in the exurbs here, quite a
ways West from the city center, plus the towers for most of the local
station are on the East side of the city. I have a $65 antenna from Radio
Shack on a pipe strapped to my chimney, and the strong stations come
through perfectly. Even the two low power ones come in pretty good, except
when it's raining really hard they can be a little spotty.

Bite the bullet. Do it right.

-T

-----
305. [Computing] Whoever said that C++ doesn't force you to pay for features
you don't use hasn't ever programmed in C++ to any extent. --Henry Baker,
(Re: allocator and GC locality)
tpeters at nospam.mixcom.com   (remove "nospam") N9QQB (amateur radio)
"HEY YOU" (loud shouting)    WEB: http://www.mixweb.com/tpeters
43° 7' 17.2" N by 88° 6' 28.9" W,  Elevation 815',  Grid Square EN53wc
WAN/LAN/Telcom Analyst, Tech Writer, MCP, CCNA, Registered Linux User 385531