[mythtv-users] Update to lirc 0.8.5 breaks things

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Aug 29 04:14:19 UTC 2009

On Thursday 27 August 2009 21:16:43 Blammo wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Jarod Wilson<jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 8, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> >
> >> Hopefully you're still monitoring this thread but I had a question. Is
> >> F10 destined to get a 2.6.29 kernel (i.e. not in updates-testing)?
> >
> > Supposedly, yes...
>
> Any status update on this? As of today, via normally available repos
> (fusion, atrpms, etc) my mythdora installation still breaks if
> anything 0.8.5 is installed.

Unfortunately, no. Looks like F10 is going to stick with 2.6.27 for
the entirety of its existence. As I (think I've) said in another thread
or two, we (Fedora) are currently getting bit by kernel modesetting
being closely coupled with the X server, so rebasing to a new kernel
breaks X in too many cases to safely push a newer kernel update. Once
all the kernel modesetting stuff is finally mostly stabilized and in
place (we hope that's the case circa Fedora 12), we can get back to our
regularly scheduled revolving door of new kernels for all releases...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com