[mythtv-users] CPU for combo frontend/backed box

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Sat Aug 29 16:50:33 UTC 2009

>I'm trying to decide between a 65W 3.0GHz dual-core CPU (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Wolfdale 3.0GHz) or a 95W 2.33GHz quad-core CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
2.33GHz). I'd like the performance of the quad-core CPU, but if the dual-core
would work fine I'd rather go with that and have less heat in the HTPC-style case.

>Here is the hardware I plan to purchase:
>
>Case: SILVERSTONE LC10B-E ATX
>MB: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
>RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800
>CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken
>Case fan: Nexus SP802512H-03PWM
>

>HD: WD Caviar Green 1TB
>DVD: LG GH22LS30
>PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625W
>Tuner: Haven't decided yet
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>-Laura

This is an interesting question.
Heat is always a complex issue when trying to keep noise down. Tuner cards tend
to put out a lot of heat..

If you are running VDPAU (And with that board you can run Temporal 2*
de-interlacing comfortably but not advanced 2 * .. I can barely see the
difference between the 2).. this will keep cpu load and heat down for playback...

Although it will add heat, I highly suggest adding in a second hdd probably a
smaller one for OS and myth database and keep the 1TB for recording.. this will
be much more reliable and responsive as their is load on both the database and
the recording drive simultaneously (from experience)..

For the CPU between the 2 is interesting... if you think you may wish to
transcode your recordings, then go with the quad core... (especially if using a
wrapper script like mythnuv2mkv or anything that will utilise multiple
cores)..otherwise the dual core will be plenty. My backend is on a core2 e6600
dual core.. and it transcodes well enough..but it isn't running a frontend (only
deluge, a webserver and fileserver on top of the mbe) so the load is generally
very low....

However, I would highly recommend a re-think to an AMD.. I have an AMD Phenom II
x3 720.. and overclocked to 3.5 Ghz it doesn't go over 45 degrees with low speed
fans and a scythe ninja rev b.... (old cooler)..... and fans on slow... at stock
speeds it is usually under 35 degrees under load..  Some motherboards will unlock
the 4th core on it so it's great VFM... Even if you have to get a discrete 8400gs
graphics card (equivalent VDPAU performance as the 9400 onboard).. the money you
save will make up for that.. I've used both Intel and AMD in recent architectures
and although AMD was getting bad press in the last year I ended up getting this
chip for my music studio upgrade purely based on budget but was blown away with
the performance increase over the core2 e6600, even at stock speeds.

The Nexus fans are quiet but don't push a great amount of air..
I highly recommend the Noctua PF-12 as a better option. I have Nexus and Noctua
fans on my systems and am rebuilding my backend in a new case with a combination
of them (my current case is just too cramped so is overheating when not careful)

Of course they don't fit the case you chose.. So maybe not with this case..
however.. if you need to have an ATX case, the Antec Fusion remote MAX caters for
120mm fans...
Although if you can cope with a micro atx m/b then an antec nsk-2480b is about
the same price but sports 2*120mm fans (so more airflow at slower rpm and less
noise)... You can sell the PSU that comes with it along with the fans or keep
them as spares. The case also fits the scythe ninja-mini very nicely. You don't
need a fan on the cpu in this particular case with this cooler as the fans are
right next to the cpu cooler.. I have an opteron 170 (125W) in that case in my fe
with the noctua PF-12's. and a while ago it was a combined mbe/fe like yours and
it was running at full load for HD de-interlacing (pre-vdpau) and staying under
50 degrees with 2 tuner cards.....

A corsair HX-620 PSU will save you a bit of money and give you great performance.

so ..I've probably confused you ... but my main points

1. Consider an AMD Phenom II x3 720.. for low heat and mid range performance
2. Consider the antec nsk2480b case (or fusion if you want the volume knob e.t.c..)
3. consider noctua fans
4. Corsair PSU will probably save you money (it does here in Australia)