[mythtv-users] OT: Recommendation on Nvidia Card

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 02:17:36 UTC 2009

Can anybody give me a recommendation on a low/mid level Nvidia card.  I'm
looking for advice on something that:

   - installs in Ubuntu/Mythbuntu through the standard synaptic package
   manager.
   - doesn't require command line or compiling locally.
   - supports s-video out.

I recently upgraded the CPU/Mobo/graphics card and purchased purchased a
GeForce 8600 GT because it was listed as being compatible with VDPAU.  I
assumed that meant I'd be able to get it working in Ubuntu/Mythbuntu. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled with ENV and synaptic in 8.04 and after
upgrading to 8.10 and again after upgrading to 9.04.  I can't get the 8600
GT working.  The best luck I've had with SVideo out has been old 5200
cards.  Unfortunately, they are AGP and my new Mobo has a PCI-E slot, so I
can't just swap.

I looked on Newegg and they still have 5200's in PCI, but not in PCI-E.  In
the PCI-E format, they list:

   GeForce GTS 200
   GeForce GTX 200
   GeForce 9
   GeForce 8

I'm a little nervous about putting more money into something that may not
fix my problem.  Has anybody had luck (ie: straightfoward install and
config) with a newer generation Nvidia card?

Thanks,
Greg