[mythtv-users] (US) Dump Comcast for a dish, good Mythtv decision?

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Mon Aug 31 13:37:25 UTC 2009

Dave Richardson <mythtv at derdev.com>, said on Mon Aug 31, 2009 [08:20:46 AM]:
} Since we had such a robust discussion last week about Comcast potentially
} encrypting (and thus requiring "Boxes"), I wanted to float a question
} about whether there's merit in dumping Comcast for a dish provider?  I
} don't use Comcast for broadband or telephony, so it's only a content
} viewing decision for me.
}
} It looks like it's easy enough to set up some IR blasting
} http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial
} Any other comments?
}
} (Moderators, if there's a better forum for this, please let me know)
} Thanks.
}

your milage will vary greatly on getting direct control over the directv box.
but I use one of many IR devices to control my boxes and have a grand ol time.
comast will occasionally send out boxes that allow full firewire capabilities,
but again ymmv. the HD PQ is much better on directv then comast. SD wont matter.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org