[mythtv-users] capture card database problem after svn up

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Aug 31 16:44:47 UTC 2009

I upgraded this weekend to the latest trunk, and repeated that again
this morning after problems surfaced. I am now running:

[root at confusion trunk]# svn info
Repository Root: http://svn.mythtv.org/svn
Repository UUID: 7dbf422c-18fa-0310-86e9-fd20926502f2
Revision: 21606
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: markk
Last Changed Rev: 21606
Last Changed Date: 2009-08-31 01:53:52 -0600 (Mon, 31 Aug 2009)

This problem is 100% reproducible. I start with svn up, make distclean
&& ./configure  --enable-vdpau --enable-opengl-vsync --enable-libfaad &&
make && make install, followed by cd ../mythplugins; make distclean
&& ./configure && make && make install. All appears to go well. Since I
have repeated this several times and it results in a hosed system, I
have to drop the database, recreate it, and reload from a known good
backup pre-upgrade.

The update required a database upgrade through 7 schema versions. It
goes in what I presume is the normal way. The first time I fire up
mythfrontend, it notes that a database upgrade is needed, recommends a
backup, and won't let me do anything but click OK and exit. Next time I
fire up mythfrontend, it says that the MythMusic schema needs upgrading
from 1016 to 1017, and makes me select "Upgrade" twice, after which it
appears to come up normally. If I go to the status page and look at my
tuners, all appears well. However, if I stop mythbackend and start up
mythtv-setup, none of my capture cards show up on the Capture Cards
page. All I see are the options to add a capture card, delete all the
capture cards on my backend, or delete all the capture cards. Of course
also the Input Connections page is blank. The Video Sources and Storage
Directories pages look normal. The system works at this point in that I
can watch old recordings and make new ones, but something is obviously
not right.

The "standard" solution to this kind of problem is to delete all the
capture cards and re-add them, so I did this. The result of that is that
all my tuners are permanently unavailable after I restart mythbackend. I
cannot see any errors in the backend log, and although the mythtv-setup
pages now look normal, the status pages show all tuners "Unavailable". I
can watch old recordings, but cannot make any new ones. The Upcoming
Recordings page shows all scheduled recordings as red with "Recorder
Off-Line".

Has anyone else seen anything like this? What can I do or what
information can I provide to help debug this? I won't rule out my own
stupidity, but it seems to me like others are going to see this
eventually unless I've done something obviously wrong.

I can get the system working again by following the above procedure and
stopping before the "delete all capture cards" step, but I can't make
any changes to any of my tuners and I have a couple of problems that I
need to fix (which is what prompted me to do the update in the first
place). My HD-PVR appears to be broken; it is just creating empty
recording files. And it looks like Comcast has moved around all my
digital channels so the HDHomerun tuner that is connected to the cable
doesn't work any more either (I get "invalid channel" errors). The
HDHomerun antenna tuner works fine, as does the PVR-500.

Thanks for any advice,
--Greg