[mythtv-users] (US) Dump Comcast for a dish, good Mythtv decision?

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Mon Aug 31 21:06:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>    I've been using IR blasters "since the dawn of time". I have used them
> with landline monopolies (analog and digital) as well as Dish and DTV. I
> have found the Dish boxes to be the most problematic. The older boxes that
> I used had the nasty habit of "getting hung up" if you tried to tune in an
> invalid channel. They would throw up a dialog box that required human
> intervention to get past.

I've used IR blasters with Dish since my start with MythTV (~5 yrsr now
IIRC).  They do have an issue of popping up a dialog box if you tune an
invalid channel.  But one of the 'outs' of that dialog box is to press
Channel Up or Channel Down.  So the first command of my channel-change
scripts is "Channel Up" - then it sends the new channel number.

The only downside is it adds about 1 second to the channel change, and all 3
of my boxes are controlled with one lirc instance.  But I have not had a
missed channel change since.

One thing that's good about Dish receivers is that they can be set to 16
different IR codesets, so you can have one lirc instance for all of your
receivers.

J-e-f-f-A