[mythtv-users] Backend constantly restarting

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Tue Dec 1 00:38:56 UTC 2009

On 11/30/2009 06:04 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 11/30/2009 06:36 PM, Matthias Thyroff wrote:

>>> Does this mean the mythbackend check is commented/doing nothing?

>>> If so, would that mean that monit is restarting mysql over and over?
>>> (Ripping the MySQL server out from under Myth would cause problems.)
>> I also just found out that it is monit who is restarting my backend every
>> 2 minutes - that was a long way of way too much suffering.
>>
>> It seems that myth backend 0.22 does not write the
>> /var/run/myththv/mythbackend.pid file anymore - and monit used that file
>> for checking for the process. Fails, of course and restarts the service.
>>
>> From short investigation it seems there is no pid file at all anymore.
>>
>> This is where I stop today.
>>
>> Have a good day, thanks for the greatest tv software ever (well don't
>> know
>> any other, don't need to, either, because myth does what I need and much
>> more)
>
> Sounds like a problem with the *buntu mythbackend start scripts--perhaps
> introduced in the switch to upstart.  I don't know whether it means that
> the monit config needs changing or whether the upstart script needs
> changing.

On openSUSE, the standard start script for mythbackend needed to be
modified. Initially it had the the -p switch as an argument to
startproc, but there was no pid file created. By moving it to _AFTER_
the starting of mythbackend ($MYTHBACKEND_BIN), then the pid file was
created. The resulting command is:

HOME=${MYTHBACKEND_HOME} /sbin/startproc \
     -u ${MYTHBACKEND_USERID} -g ${MYTHBACKEND_GROUPID} \
     $MYTHBACKEND_BIN --daemon -p /var/run/mythbackend.pid \
     --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log \
     $MYTHBACKEND_OPTIONS

Larry