[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 07:27:49 UTC 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Jon Whitear wrote:

>> That's pretty interesting.  I haven't tried any of the GP drives with
>> Linux RAID, however I'm using six of the 1 TB GP drives in a 3ware
>> hardware RAID array with no problems so far.
>
> Yes, it's been fun ;-). It's worth googling any prospective disk
> purchase! If you search for the WD green power drives, you'll find a
> host of current discussions about problems with these drives in
> linux RAID (mostly linux based NAS boxes), very few of which are
> solved. Searching for Seagate, on the other hand, shows a number of
> firmware issues, but none of them very recent, which would suggest
> that the issues have been ironed out. I couldn't find much about
> problems with Samsung drives, suggesting that they're probably OK.

A little late to the thread, but I have 4x640GB WD GP Drives in my
computer plugged into a PCI SATA controller. When I purchased them, I
had intended to RAID them together, but with storage groups (since
these drives are for recordings and video only) I felt there was no
real good reason to mess with RAID. It's been almost a year since I
got them, and I still feel that RAID would have simply been a waste of
time and effort. They work wonderfully as is, and are much quieter
than the 100gb 7200 rpm western digital drive that they replaced. Just
so you don't think I'm biased, I have an 80gb maxtor 7200 rpm drive
running the OS and DB. It's the loudest drive in my backend, and going
on 6 or 7 years old, it's about due to be replaced.

~Jon