[mythtv-users] PCI-E ATSC (US) Card Recommendation

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 19:01:18 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
>> If I were in the position to buy a ATSC card again, I would definitely get the dual tuner version.  The networks keep rearranging the schedules and sometimes you just need a dual tuner to get everything the significant other wants. :-)
>
> Or get an HDHomeRun. And use multirec.

Multirec should work for any ATSC/ClearQAM card.  This should not be
interpreted as an incentive to use the HDHomeRun over other products.

>> The only hitch that I ran into is I had to get a external antenna.  I'm a ways  out of town, so I needed that with the built in power amp to get any kind of signal.  If you're in a city, you might not need that.
>
> But that really has nothing at all to do with the choice of capture card, unless the driver is bonged in such a way that it only works with a really strong signal.

Some products actually have an integrated LNA (low noise amplifier)
which reduces the need for an external amplifier.  Also, different
hardware designs vary in terms of how well they work with poor signal
conditions (such as weak signal or multipath interference).  Not all
tuners are created equal.  ;-)

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller