[mythtv-users] UK: BBCi / "red button" on Freesat

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Dec 1 20:54:59 UTC 2009

Stephen Bridges wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A location-specific question here; the Freesat website says that the BBC red
> button service is available (via Freesat), by which that pressing the red
> button should offer things like the stuff listed here:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/5345480.stm
>
> I did have this on Freeview and it worked great.  When I moved to a freeview-
> deficient area I changed to Freesat, and at the time it didn't advertise
> having "BBC red button" and the only things I get when pressing the red button
> is a teletext-affair.
>
> Does anybody else on freesat in the UK get anything different?
>
> Stephen.

Sometimes pressing the "red button" (something like F11??) on a BBC
channel brings up a more modern version of a teletext menu that contains
news headlines, etc.

The additional interactive video content is actually provided on normal
channels which you can just tune like any other channel.  Their numbers
(on my system) are 6880...6886 and are called STREAM-0...6.  It's a bit
hit and miss what appears on which stream, but one usually contains some
kind of menu showing mini images of what is on the others.

Stuff like the snooker ends up on these channels when it overruns, and
other sporting events.

I've always wondered if it is possible to get the "red button" to work
"properly", but I've never actually looked into it....

Robert.