[mythtv-users] PVR500 poor picture quality

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 2 15:07:45 UTC 2009

Bloke DownThePub wrote:
> I've set it to tha appropriate standard for Belgium - PAL-B/B1/G but the
> quality's quite poor.
>
> Here are a few short samples.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBuLCKgn8f8
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvcxxiR96E
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7Kq3WpMogM
>
> The upload process seems accurate, the clips look pretty much the same
> as when I look at them in mplayer or download them to a pc and use media
> player classic.
>
> I've noticed the image degrades if I split the output between the PVR
> and a TV, but before I run out and buy a signal booster, could it be
> something else?  Of course I'm a lucky guy, it could be both...

<scissors of brevity>

Seems like you have a poor/week signal coming from the RF input.  The
fact that splitting it makes it worse almost proves it beyond a doubt, a
booster might help.  Where is the signal coming form?  An antenna,
cable?  The booster should be placed as close to the origination point
of the signal as possible.