[mythtv-users] cards vs sources vs inputs confusion, problems and possible bugs

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Wed Dec 2 16:22:37 UTC 2009

George Mari píše v Ne 29. 11. 2009 v 10:26 -0600:
> Assuming your two cards are both receiving from the same service
> provider, I'm also pretty sure you should not setup two independent
> sources, as you will run into the problems you mentioned.
>
> I have 2 cards also - one receives OTA broadcasts via antenna, and
> another receives analog video from a satellite settop box.  I have one
> source, but I have two lineups with Schedules Direct.  Most of the OTA
> channels are duplicated on the satellite lineup, and I just associate
> the OTA card with the OTA lineup for my region from Schedules Direct,
> and the Satellite lineup is linked to my old analog card.  It all just
> seems to work fine.
>
> If you post who your satellite service provider is, I'm sure someone
> else on the list can help you out.

It's Astra 3A but I don't think it's important. I am more interested in
the "wiring" inside of the mythsetup (Input Connections) when one card
is more capable than the other one so it can receive more channels. If
there is just one video source then I don't quite see how to prevent the
less capable card tuning to all the channels in the video source.

I should try changing it to one source and see for myself but before
I'll break all the stuff (tuning the sat channels back will take me
several hours of manual work) I thought I would ask here.

Anyway, I am going to buy some DVB-T tuners that will further complicate
the setup (they can receive only a subset of the DVB-S channels).

My goal is still the same: in LiveTV pressing a certain channum should
always find a free tuner that can tune and play that program (no matter
if its DVB-S2, DVB-S or DVB-T). Also when browsing across all the
channels on all tuners pressing the OK on any channel should again find
a free tuner and tune&play that. So far it does not work that way and
the question remains if this is a bug in configuration or in Myth
itself.

Petr