[mythtv-users] Nightly shutdown + RTC Wakeup

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:26:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am trying to save some wear and tear/power by not leaving my backend on
24/7.  I have been testing with RTC Wakeup which works great.  I created a
scirpt that powers off at 11:30 and back on at 7:30.  This works great as I
save 8hours of run time each day.

There is only one issue.  I have a program that is only on at 4am. My
backend will be powered off so I will miss the recording.

Some other constraints:
1. This is a diskless server for my frontends.
2.  Box servers DHCP and DNS
3. because of 2 i need the box on from 7:30am to 11:30pm.

I know Mythtv has shutdown times and settings in mythtv-setup but I dont see
how it can help me in my case.

The logic I need:

If recording occurs between now (11:30) and 7:30am
  set wakeup 10 mins before program start
  at program end Goto begining of script and recheck for another recording
else
   set timer to wake-up at 7:30am
  shutdown

How can i accomplish this?