[mythtv-users] Slave backend shutdown/wakeup

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Wed Dec 2 17:50:24 UTC 2009

* On Sun Nov 29, 2009 at 07:14:52PM +0000, Steve Hill wrote:
> I have a low power master backend, and a separate slave backend.  The
> master backend does other stuff besides MythTV, so needs to be running all
> the time, but I want the slave backend to power off when idle. However, I
> can't figure out what combination of settings will let me do this.  At the
> moment the master backend is trying to shut itself down (which is wrong),
> but never tells the slave to power down (also wrong).
>
> Can anyone shed some light on to how to configure this?  I'm finding
> mythtv-setup extremely confusing because it doesn't make it clear which
> settings apply to the master or the slave, and which commands are executed
> on which machine. :(

In mythtv-setup, go to the 6th page under the 'General' settings.  This
should be a page titled 'Backend Wakeup settings'.  At the bottom, you'll
find "Sleep Command" and "Wake Command".  You want to configure those
commands on each slave backend that you want the master to be able to
shutdown and wakeup on demand for recording.  The Sleep command will be
run by the slave on the slave to put the slave to sleep, shut it down,
or whatever you want to do to it.  The 'Wake' command is run by the master
on the master backend in order to wake up the slave.  Some people may
use this for WOL slaves, while others could have a remotely controlled
power strip that the slave turns off and the master turns on.  Having a
user-defined command makes it flexible.  If the 'Wake' command is a
MAC address format (aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff), then the master backend will
send a WOL packet to the specified MAC address to wake the slave up.
Alternately, you can use your own wake on lan program to send the WOL
packet if your slave requires a special format WOL packet.

--
Chris