[mythtv-users] Using the mythconverg_backup.pl script (slightly OT)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 04:42:16 UTC 2009

> If the manpages aren't clear, you might want to try searching the
> rsync list's archives, which talks about this sort of thing quite
> frequently.

I am not sure if it was man page lack of clarity or my own stupidity,
but I once deleted 300 GB of recordings when using rsync to move them
to another drive. There is a delete from source (ie move) or delete
from destination (ie mirror) option. I ran the delete from source
option but was a bit confused by the man page. There was zero feedback
indicating that anything had been deleted. So I thought that I had
misunderstood the manpage and I ran the other delete option. The net
result was the first command had actually worked so everything was on
the destination and deleted at the source, the second command then
also worked and deleted everything from the destination that wasn't at
the source (which was now empty from the first command). And that was
it for my recordings. Luckily my experimenting was just with some TV
shows and not all of our family photos.

In short, I endorse the dry-run, careful reading of the man page, and
a good example found from google to be safe.