[mythtv-users] Using the mythconverg_backup.pl script (slightly OT)

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 05:55:27 UTC 2009

> Always mount a scratch monkey.  (http://edp.org/monkey.htm, f'r'instance.)
>
> Another, more-aggressive way to be sure(r) is to do something like
>  mount -o remount,ro /dev/whatever
> before your test.  Assuming it's not a system drive.  And assuming
> you think you might be about to make a mistake, but if you knew
> -that- in advance...

Yeah, I wasn't testing. I had already copied all the recordings over
to the new drive. I was just running rsync one last time to catch the
most recent recordings if there were any. I felt safe since all my
data was on teh new drive already. I added the -delete option to clear
out the space on the old drive. At the time it seemed safer. I always
feel a little nervous about issuing a 'rm' command. Typos can be a
beast.